Numbness from the waist down when I walk, bend or pivot at the waist.

Patient

Q: Hello, It seems that when I walk or turn at the hips or bend I tend to go numb from the waiste downwards. this is acompanied by internal pain in both hips ( occassionally the buttocks) and what feels like muscle burn in the thighs and calves. This all hapens at once. It goes away after a few minutes of sitting and occurs when I attempt to walk more than about 50 feet or more.
Any Idea what could be causing this?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that you are experiencing a problem with the spinal cord in your lumbar spine (lower back). There could be a number of causes of this. You could have a herniated disc within the lumbar spine which is pressing on the nerves that supply the muscles of the hips and legs. Impingement of sciatic nerves in particular could result in such numbness.
Another, possible cause of your numbness could be related to decreased circulation. Various conditions relating to circulation can cause a condition known as claudication. This would result in a sensation of cramping and numbness which is relieved by movement. In order to determine if you have a problem with your lumbar spine or claudication, you will need to undergo a full examination of your lower back and lower limbs. This will include imaging studies, and possibly a doppler ultrasound of the blood vessels of your lower limbs. Please see your doctor.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com