Numbness, headache and blurred vision : signs of TIA?

Patient

Q: What can cause numbness in small finger and finger next to it, when this happens it also causes headache and blurred vision in one eye on the same side as the numbness

Doctor

A:   Numbness in the territory of the little finger and the ring finger can be due to compression or affection of the ulnar nerve ( this is the nerve which supplies that part of the hand) . This can arise due to either a cervical spondylosis which leads to compression in the area of the C8 nerve or it can be due to the entrapment of the nerve at the elbow joint. However the headache and the blurred vision indicate some involvement of the brain and thus need to be investigated further. You may be having some form of transient ischemic attack which is temporary decrease of blood supply to the brain.This may also be characterised by transient visual loss, slurred speech , weakness and numbness in extremities etc. While there may be other causes like migraine that may lead to these symptoms the fact that they are appearing along with the numbness seems to be concerning.Kindly see your family physician as soon as possible for a complete physical examination along with tests like an CT scan and furthery testing as this is a diagnosis you do not want to miss.