Numbness in both hands and 31 weeks pregnant

Q: Hi, Iam 31 weeks pregnant tomarrow and for about 3 weeks now i have been having bad numbing and tingling in both arms. Just 3 days ago they started to come on stronger and waking me up in the middle of the night, and also hurting during the day. my arms are starting to hurt me even when im not laying down. ive read on line that it could mean something is wrong with the baby. so iam a little worried. I did contact my doctor office and they told me that it is temporary Carpal Tunel due to my pregnancy, but my symptoms are getting worse. Can you please help me!

A:    Carpal tunnel syndrome is a disease of the hand characterized by numbness, tingling, pain, and weakness. The disease typically affects the thumb, index, and middle fingers and is often particularly troublesome at night. A major nerve, specifically the median nerve, travels down the arm and enters the hand through the carpal tunnel, which is located in the central part of the wrist. In people with carpal tunnel syndrome, pressure in the carpal tunnel is higher than in unaffected people, and median nerve irritation occurs. It has many causes, but according to your description, one of the causes is due to pregnancy. The first line of treatment for mild carpal tunnel syndrome is to wear a wrist brace. This has been shown to relieve the symptoms from the carpal tunnel by placing the wrist in a neutral position and reducing the nerve irritation. Splinting is usually tried for a period of 4-6 weeks. Some people wear their splints at night only and others wear their splints both day and night, depending upon when the symptoms are at their worst.