Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Numbness in last three fingers and palm of left hand

Numbness in last three fingers and palm of left hand

Patient: For the last week my left hand, last 3 fingers and palm have been numb and tight. i can not feel my pinkey at all.I am 29 years old do you know what this could be.

Doctor: Most likely you are experiencing some transient lesion of the ulnar or cubital nerve, which might be compressed at the l evel of the wrist, producing the numbness that you described in those areas of the hand inervated by it. The Cubital tunnel syndrome affected patients often experience numbness and tingling along the little finger and the ulnar half of the ring finger. This discomfort is often accompanied by weakness of grip and, rarely, by muscular wasting. Recommended conservative treatment is as follows: decrease activities of repetition that may exacerbate symptoms. Use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (Aleve, Motrin) in an attempt to decrease inflammation around the nerve. Protect the ulnar nerve from prolonged elbow/wrist flexion during sleep, and protect the nerve during the day by avoiding direct pressure or trauma.