Numbness in leg after drinking.

Patient

Q: I am a social drinker and do not drink often, but after i do i get numbness in my legs as soon as its in my system but usually the day after lasting for a couple days i feel numbness in my left leg to a point where very uncomfortable.

Symptoms:  Numbness
Doctor

Welcome to Ask The Doctor. Thank you for the Query.

Different people have different tolerance levels to Alcohol. Alcohol is broken down to Acetaldehyde. The numbness that you are experiencing occurs due to acetaldehyde. Some people are slow acetylators. Slow acetylators cannot remove Acetaldehyde quickly from the body. The high Acetaldehye level is responsible for the numbness in the legs.

I recommend that you limit the amount of Alcohol that you consume. Consuming Alcohol with oily foods can slow the rate of absorption and reduce the symptoms you are experiencing. If the problem persists, please consult a Doctor.