Numbness in the knee after a direct blow in a car accident

Q: Over two months ago I was in a minor car accident. The only injury I received was from my knee hitting the dash under the steering wheel. My knee became bruised with a dark red "C" shape in the middle. Later, the inside of the red "C" was numb on the surface of my skin. Now, two months later, I am still feeling some pain when I am on my knees. Never hurt from walking or standing just when pressure was applied to the front of the knee. Will going to a doctor do any good now?

A:    Direct blows to the knee may produce injury of the ligaments, menisci, bones or capsule, but if there is no significant swelling or deformity, and no limitation on the active movements (flexion, extension), a fracture or dislocation can be ruled out. Also if there is no instability or locking a menisci lesion may be ruled out. In your particular case most likely due to the blow, you had an injury of the superficial nerve that supplies the sensation for that area; possibly you will recover sensation progressively while the nerve gets healed. The healing time in general depends on the severity of the initial injury and is different for each patient.