Numbness of upper lip

Patient

Q: The middle section of my upper lip feels numb but when I bite down I can feel it perfectly fine. It's a little bit swollen, but it doesn't look too unusual. My lower lip is cracked and dry but the top doesn't look too bad. I kissed someone a few hours before the numbing sensation, but i was also hit in the face the day before, and my nose still hurts. I did drink alcohol before, but this has never happened before b/c of drinking. I have also been coughing and its a little hard to breathe but that started the day before... Is this herpes? I have been completely clean before this

Symptoms:  Coughing, numbness of upper middle section of upper lip
Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

I am a little bit unclear about what happened exactly. Did you get numb lips after drinking alcohol? If this is the case, then it is possible that you just have numbness because of the alcohol.

Also, I feel that you have injured your lip and then it's been swollen. This means that you have numbness because of compression of the nerve. Wait for the lips to reduce in size. This should reduce the numbness that you have. If the numbness does not go away after the reduction in the swelling, then please see a Doctor. Hope this helps you. All the best.