Nuvaring and breakthrough bleeding

Patient

Q: I have been on the nuva ring for one month and yesterday i started bleeding very heavily. I am having to change my tampon every hour and it is still this way todAY. Is this normal? or should i be concerned?

Doctor

A:   One common side effect of NuvaRing is breakthrough bleeding. Bleeding or spotting may occur while taking NuvaRing Ring. Do not stop taking NuvaRing Ring if this occurs. This is a perfectly normal occurrence, and it does not mean that the NuvaRing is not working as a contraceptive. The amount of bleeding is usually minimal and may occur from time to time for no apparent reason. However, should you be concerned about a sudden change in your spotting patterns (particularly if the bleeding is heavier or accompanied by other side effects), you may want to speak with your health care provider.