Nuvaring Question

Patient

Q: I just started on the Nuvaring on March 19th at 2:30 pm. My boyfriend and I had sex today and he came inside of me. I am a bit nervous about if there is a possibility of getting pregnant because it says to use condoms for 7 days after inserting the ring. Today would be seven days but it hasn't been 168 hours yet. Should I be concerned? And for future reference, would I be protected down the line if this happened once it had been inserted for over 7 days?

Doctor

A:   Hello, I understand your concern about possible pregnancy during the first days of your new contraceptive method.
Certainly a possibility of pregnancy could be present when a Hormonal contraceptive method is started especially in the first week, for that reason it is recommended to use a backup contraceptive method such as female or male condoms, this will give the ring time to release the contraceptive hormones. No contraceptive method is 100% effective but if used properly they could be very successful.
In your case, I will say that there are more possibilities that the ring already released its hormones and because of that the chances of pregnancy will diminish. However if a week after you have inserted your new ring your menses don’t show up, you might want to take a pregnancy test, in my opinion I don’t think that this will happen and you should not be concerned, after 7 days you should be protected against unwanted pregnancies. I wish you the best.