Nyquil and fluoxetine

Q: "i have been on fuloxetine for just over a week and have been taking half tablets. do you think its okay to take the liquid nyquil cold medicine i have prety bad cold."

A:   Thank you for your question. Nyquil is a brand name cold symptom relief medication that contains four medications: acetaminophen, dextromethorphan, doxylamine, pseudoephedrine. What concerns us the most is the interaction of dextromethorphan in Nyquil and your current medication Fluoxetine. When these two medications are combined a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome can occur. The symptoms of Serotonin Syndrome include extreme fluctuations in blood pressure, seizures, hallucinations, increased heart rate, sweating, fever, muscle spasms, vomiting nausea, and a host of other symptoms. The most severe cases can result in coma and death. Please consult your doctor before taking Nyquil while on fluoxetine.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com