Obgyn help before i have an abortion

Patient

Q: Can a negative quad screening miss many fetal problems including hole in spine,heart defects and under formed brain?

Doctor

A:   Hi,
Quadruple test is a blood test, it measures alpha-fetoprotein (AFP), human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), unconjugated estriol (uE3), and inhibin A in maternal blood. Quadruple test is having around 81 to 90 % of sensitivity in detecting fetal anomalies.
So, it may not miss major anomalies.
If this is combined with ultrasound examination called TIFFA (targeted imaging for fetal anomalies) at around 20 weeks the sensitivity can be further increased.
So, please go for TIFFA scan once to detect any structural anomalies of the baby.
Take care.