Odd Nerve Reaction When Stretching

Patient

Q: Stretching a certain way causes discomfort and odd body reaction

Symptoms:  Discomfort but not pain
Makes me want to laugh or cry
Body doesn't know how to react to this stretching of hamstring
No pain, just feels weird. Is this just a nerve reaction?
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Stretching and engaging in movements that your body is not accustomed can result in sensations that can be uncomfortable. Your discomfort is likely due to over stretching. We recommend that you gradually practice your stretching techniques, and only do those stretches that you are able to do. As you become more flexible your discomfort will eventually subside.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com