Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Oil Paint Fume Exposure- 20 weeks pregnant

Oil Paint Fume Exposure- 20 weeks pregnant

Patient: I was exposed the oil based/solvent paint for approx 2 hours. I am 20 weeks pregnant and I cant stop worrying. Should I be concerned?

Symptoms: No Symptoms

Doctor: Oil paint fume exposure during pregnancy carried very low risk. Risk is comparitively more if the pregnancy is in first trimester i.e. before 12 weeks. Few studies suggested that the exposure might increase the risk of miscarriage, birth defects or learning defects in unborn. But the risks are very low after first trimester. So don’t worry much, but be cautious and get regularly checked up by a gynecology to have a safer pregnancy.