Okay me and my girlfriend had sex 3 times and

Patient

Q: Okay me and my girlfriend had sex 3 times and this time when I went home she said she was bleeding and it definitely wasn't her period . it was only blood on the toilet paper when she wiped . We are very scared she is pregnant ? Is she pregnant or can there be something else ?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

The amount of history you have given cannot let me decide anything at all. Here is what you need to know about pregnancy and periods. If your girlfriend is having periods that are regular and happen every X number of days then, it is possible to predict the date of ovulation.

The date of ovulation is the date from the start of periods minus 14 days. Supposing you girlfriend has periods on the 28th of the month, then the ovulation day is on the 14th of that month.

Now, based on this, we count the 7 days before and 7 days after ovulation as not safe. These are the dates from 7th to the 21st. If you had sex during these days without contraception at all then she is at risk.

If 72 hours have not been crossed, give her an Ipill to help. If they have crossed, see a Doctor and get a preg test to confirm pregnancy and in the future please use 2 types of contraception.

Feel free to write back to us for further questions. All the best.