Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Okay so I haven’t got my period for three months.

Okay so I haven’t got my period for three months.

Patient: Okay so I haven’t got my period for three months now and my boobs are sore and my nipples are tender but I have been getting negative pregnancy test I haven’t got a blood test though and I want to

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Considering your age group, it is likely that your menses shall be irregular due to horm onal immaturity and also possibly due to element of PCOS which can cause anovulatory cycles and delayed menses. It is necessary that you should undergo a hormonal profile and an ultrasound pelvis to rule out polycystic ovaries and endometrial thickness evaluation. If the cysts are present in ovaries and the hormonal profile shows hyperandrogenism, then You have to be treated for PCOS. The hormonal causes can be hypothyroidism or hyperprolactinemia which are treatable causes of oligomenorrhoea.The symptoms you are experienceing in form of sore boobs and often mild nausea and cramps, once pregnancy is ruled out can be attributed to premenstrual syndromic symptoms which indicate that menses shall ensue in few days. You may choose to wait for a week, if no menses then shall opt for a withdrawal bleed with progestins under a physician’s supervision.I hope I have answered your query in detail,wishing you good health,Regards