Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Old cigarette scar infected?

Old cigarette scar infected?

Patient: I have a scar from a cigarette for about a year now on my arm and it just turn red and started hurting when i touch it as well feels like i just burnt it, is it infected or something?

Symptoms: Scar is red, hurts to touch, feels like its been burnt

Old cigarette scar infected?-1

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It appears that this scar is infected. Given the fact that is red, and pain, it may be that bacteria may have caused a localized area of cellulitis in this area. We recommend that you have this examined by your doctor. You will likely be prescribed some antibiotic cream to topically treat this infection. If the inflammation gets larger by the time you receive this consultation, you may need to be treated with oral antibiotics to effectively clear this infection.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com