Ask The Doctor > Pending > Old Injury to the tonsil area

Old Injury to the tonsil area

Patient: I am a 26 year old male. In my early childhood, I got a stab wound in the back of my mouth in the right tonsil(from the perspective of the examiner) that is about 2-2.5 cm in diameter and est. 3-4 cm deep (from what I can see). It healed when I was young and but about a year ago I noticed a gag reflex after eating. After several months it began getting worse so then I looked in the mirror and noticed that the whole began filling with food and this created that reflex. It’s very hard to get it anything loose due to the depth of the hole, and so it’s difficult to manage in that way. What types of risk vectors are created in this situation? I know that the normal bacteria that is washed out with saliva or brushing will be diminished in this case and wonder if these types of cultures or the physiological pressure from swallowing is what is aggravating the issue? I spoke with a doctor in a clinic but they said they have never seen this issue before and weren’t sure what could be done other than tonsil removal. Would this be a good option for lowering any future risk that might be created in this scenario? Thanks in advance

Symptoms: Pressure in the back of the throat, activation of the gag reflex and general discomfort

Doctor: