Oligoasthenoteratozoospermia

Patient

Q: HI MY HUSBAND HAS oligoasthenoteratozoospermia BUT HE HAS A 7 YEARS OLD CHILD. IS THERE A CHANCE ITS HIS BABY?
THE MOTHER IS NOW 41 HAD ENDOMETRIOSIS AND ONLY ONE OVARY. IS THAT HIS BABY? IS OAT DEGENERATIVE

Doctor

A:   Oligoasthenoteratozoospermia is a condition in which the semen shows low number of sperms which have a reduced motility and are abnormal in morphology. There are many causes for the same, which may be classified as testicular, pre-testicular, post-testicular or idiopathic causes.

Some of the causes of OAT such as a hydrocele, varicocele, or vas deferens obstruction may respond to operative corrections. In many idiopathic causes of the condition the sperm count may incease after treatment with Clomiphene, carnitine, anti-oxidants, HMG, Tamoxifen etc. A consultation with an andrologist or a reproductive endocrinologist should help you understand the cause of your husband’s OAT better and the possibilities of a cure.

With regards to your husband’s fertility, achieving a pregnancy naturally may be a challenge for a man who suffers from OAT. However, if the female partner is fertile chances are improved; many couples with this problem have been successful in conceiving naturally or with assisted reproductive methods. It is important to also bear in mind that prognosis for natural conception is slightly more limited if the sperm dysfunction is coupled with a reduced ovarian reserve.