Oligozoospermia

Patient

Q: Dear AskTheDoctor, Me my wife are trying for a baby since the last one year. I was found to have oligozoospermia in december 2010, with a count of only 3 mi per ml. My only semen analysis before this was done in Dec 2009 when it was reported to be in the normal range (70 mi per ml). Our doctor has since put me under several cycles (each lasting 2 and half to 3 months) of treatment with clomiphene citrate, vitamins and Human Chorionic Gonadotrophin, HCG-2000 injections with a semen analysis at end of each cycle. I responded well in the first cycle, when the medicines were accompanied by Lenteclin (doxycyclin) and my count went up to 18 mi per ml. However, in the subsequent cycles he did not prescribe lenteclin and my count gradually fell back to 2.5 mi per ml in the last test dated 17 Nov, 2011.
I have since checked on the internet that bacterial infection may have some role to play in male infertility. Is it possible that my doctor took a wrong decision by discontinuing the antibiotics after the first cycle? What are the chances that my loss of fertility is reversible? I am 36 years old now.

Doctor