Omphalocele - Baby with abdominal wall not closing properly

Q: I went to a doctor to have ultra sounds done and the doctor said that my babys belly wasnt closed all the way yet and it was a problem is there anything i can do for my baby to keep him alive?

A:   I can understand your concern. What your baby has is a condition known as omphalocele. An omphalocele is a congenital defect in which the infant's intestine or other abdominal organs stick out of the belly button. The muscles in the abdominal wall do not close properly. As a result, the intestine remains outside the umbilical cord. Omphaloceles are repaired with surgery, although not always immediately. Small omphaloceles are repaired immediately to prevent infection or tissue damage. Larger omphaloceles may require gradual reduction by enlarging the abdominal cavity to accommodate the intestinal contents.