On depo shot

Q: I've been on the depo shot and I've been on it for 3 years now and my next shot this year is July 16th and I had spotted a couple of times while on it and can I still ovulate on it and I had sex today I had spotted yesterday too and do you think i might get pregnant I don't care if i do but they say 1 in 1000 a person can get pregnant on the depo shot

A:   A depot shot prevents pregnancy by inhibiting ovulation, changing the cervical mucus to help prevent sperm from reaching the egg and by preventing the fertilized egg from implanting in the uterus by causing changes in the uterine lining. The side effects of the depot are amenorrhoea, irregular periods, spotting, bloating, vaginal dryness etc.
As you are on a depot shot, it is unlikely that you could be ovulating. The chances of failure of the depot leading to pregnancy are 3 in 1000 with typical use. But the likelihood of failure generally increases mostly only if you delay the shot beyond its due date. As you have been regular on the depot, I believe you need not worry about a pregnancy.
Discuss your anxieties with your doctor when you go for your next shot as he/she may be able to suggest other methods that allow you to bleed regularly to avoid any confusions.