Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > On going flu like symptoms for 4 weeks

On going flu like symptoms for 4 weeks

Patient: Ive been having a sharp pain in my neck at the base of my skull, nasal drip to rear of my throat, trouble swallowing, night sweats, head ache mild to sevear, muscle stiffness in lower back and as of yesterday morning my fore arms and calves are cramping after short use of them. one morning I had what was explained to me as vertigo for approx. 1 hour. my fore arms are cramping just typing this. symptoms have been going on for 4 weeks now. please help 40 yrs of age 6’4 275 eat healthy, weight train 4 days a week and daily vitamins and supplments

Symptoms: Sharp pain rear of neck at base of skull, nasal drip to rear of throat, trouble swallowing as if lack of muscle strength, night sweats, head ache, lower back pain and stiffness, as of yester day morning cramping in my for arms and calves, and vertigo 1 morning

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that you could indeed be suffering from a viral or bacterial infection whic h is causing your symptoms. Since it has been four weeks that you are suffering with these symptoms you will need to be thoroughly evaluated by your doctor to determine the cause of this illness. What concerns us the most with is the neck stiffness and pain at the base of your skull that you are experiencing. This symptom that is commonly found in a infection of the central nervous system called meningitis. This can be caused by viruses or in very severe cases, bacteria. Please seek medical attention immediately to undergo a complete evaluation of your symptoms. Once diagnosed, the appropriate medication will prescribed to treat your symptoms.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com