On the pill, but want to delay period or postpone cycle by a week

Patient

Q: I am currently taking the birth control pill, Loestrin 20, and I am just finishing my one week break, so I start the new cycle from this Monday 20th Februaury. However, I have a slight problem. After this new cycle, the next break period falls on exactly the dates that I am going away on holiday (12th-18th is the break period and I am on holiday from the 11th-18th) and personally I do not wish to be on my period during this time, which is one of the reasons these pills were meant to be helpful, but unfortunately they fall on the wrong time. I was just wondering if there was any way I could stretch out this cycle so that I can have that week menstruation free, so to speak...? Thank you in advance :)

Doctor

A:   Postponing periods is a tricky affair and most doctors will advice you to keep menstruation free and unhampered. However, there are certain situations when one will find an extreme need to postpone it. You may ask your doctor for a prescription of Norethisterone, which is a progestogen hormone in tablet form. The tablet is taken three times a day for three days before your period is due and then for duration of your holiday to delay the period. At the end of this time, the tablets are stopped and your period starts as normal.