Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > On thursday I fell and hurt my foot it swelled

On thursday I fell and hurt my foot it swelled

Patient: On thursday I fell and hurt my foot it swelled but it went down and could walk on it with out no pain however now its really sore when i put pressure on it and the top of the foot is extremely sore do you think I need go dr/hospital?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.It would generally take a week’s time for the swelling and pain to subside.It is bette r to see an orthopedic doctor for an examination and x-ray to rule out a fracture, sprain or ligament tears.You may also need a combination of analgesics and anti-inflammatory medicines for a week for the inflammation to subside.Meanwhile, you can use a crape bandage for support and try foot end elevation while you sleep.Hope this helped.Regards