On Thursday of last week (4/23) I got a bikini

Patient

Q: On Thursday of last week (4/23) I got a bikini wax, and felt some mild discomfort afterwards. On Friday (4/24) I shaved the remaining hairs down there and got a spray tan that night. On Saturday morning I started my period and also felt the same discomfort again. I thought that maybe it was just that my shorts were too tight and that the heat outside (93 degrees) contributed to the discomfort on my labia minora. Later that night, I centralized where the discomfort was coming from and it was a nonvisible, but sensitive-to-the-touch-spot at the top of my labia minora near my clitoris. I went to sleep thinking it was anything. The next morning I woke up with a swollen lymph node in between my leg and bikini and peeing stringed a little because of what I noticed had become a canker sore-like sore on the spot where the discomfort was. I am sexually active and have been with my boyfriend for almost a year and seven months and this is the first time anything like this has ever happened. I made the mistake of going online and researching my symptoms and now I'm worried and preoccupied. I didn't experience any flu-like symptoms that are often associated with the first outbreak of herpes, nor do I have multiple sores. It's just that one. I've also noticed some itching and white discharge in between the labia minora and majora and in my "hood." I still have the canker-sore like sore as of today (4/29) but it's not nearly as uncomfortable as it was when I first noticed it. Could it be herpes? A yeast infection?

Doctor

Thanks for trusting ATD about your health care.

I can understand your concern here.

I have worked through your history and in my opinion, it can be due to herpes infection, ingrown hair or it can be a yeast infection.

The chances of herpes infection are more because herpes virus can stay in your body for life long and it becomes dormant when conditions arise( like excessive stress ) and exposure occurs through sexual contact.

Cold sore occur through sexual contact or due to oral sex.Sometimes flu like symptoms does not occur, but sore usually found in cluster and are real painful and filled with fluid. Inguinal lymph nodes enlargement can occur in infection.

In my opinion you should consult a Gynaecologist and get yourself examined to rule out ingrown hair and investigation performed to rule out STD infection and swab culture done to see for vaginal infection, KOH testing should be done to rule out fungal infection.

Hope it is useful, feel free to discuss more.

Good luck.

Patient: I didn't have a cluster of them, I only have one. Nor were they filled with liquid seeing as they were never "filled" with anything at all. It is canker-sore like. I never said they were like cold sores, which I know are different. It wasn't "really painful" it was just very uncomfortable. Do you think it's very likely that it is herpes? Or more likely to be something else?
Doctor: Hello dear,

Sorry for the long delay in my response.

I have gone through your symptoms and your symptoms are not suggestive of herpes but it should be rule out first.

Maybe it can be due to yeast infection.

Hope it is useful.

Good luck.