Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > One finger frostbite

One finger frostbite

Patient: I have a left index finger that experiences frostnip when out in the cold even in above freezing temperatures. None of the other fingers experience this. When it goes numb, it is only mild and temporary, and the circulation returns after a few minutes. When the circulation returns, there are no accompanyinng symptoms such as when a finger thaws out with some pain. The frostnip just disappears. I have no other symptoms, and did not mention it to my doctor (forgot) as it happens only off and on. During my recent physical, I checked out fine. Should I be concerned with this mild inconvenience, or can there be a simple explanation?

Symptoms: No symptoms other than in the question: sometimes numbness in the left index finger, such as with frostnip, during cold weather, when the other nine digits are fine.

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to askthedoctor.com.On exposure to cold, due to temperature variation our body tries to regulate the temperature by altering the circulation. These changes manifest on the skin in various ways like chillblains, frostbite.Prevention is always better than cure. Additionally in your case the symptoms subside of own in few minutes. So I will recommend you to wear gloves preferably two layered on exposure to cold.I severe cases, vasodilators like nifedipine is advised.So ever if you experience swelling fingers with numbness, red spots on hands or ulceration, you should see your doctor.I hope it helps.Stay healthy.