Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > One shorter leg, causing misalignment and pain in body

One shorter leg, causing misalignment and pain in body

Patient: My one leg is shorter than the other. It’s causing PFS in both, tendinitis, hip, and back pain. I’m a veteran as I just got out so I have no health care. Would a simple fix be to just put inserts in my shorter leg’s shoe? Or will that throw more things off than it would fix? Thank you for reading

Symptoms: Knee, back, hip pain

Doctor: Thank you for your question. First of all, it is important to determine what is the cause of the reduction in length of your leg. This could be caused by arthritis or another degenerative bone disorder. As an immediate remedy but certainly not a cure, you can purchase orthotic insoles to increase the length of the leg in order to realign your gate. These orthotics need to be professionally fitted. In order to obtain these, you will still have to go to a doctor to be evaluated prior to being prescribed orthotic insoles. Please see your doctor.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com