Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Open cervix what does this mean

Open cervix what does this mean

Patient: I had a baby eight months ago I went for my smear two weeks ago to be told that my cervix is still a bit open what does this mean and does this prevent me having any more children

Symptoms: Abnormal periods bleeding before and after period

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.After normal delivery cervical os will lost its pinpoint appe arance and looks like transverse slit.Usually this will be confined to external os only and doesn’t affect future pregnancies.Cervical incompetence is a different condition where cervix fail to retain the pregnancy and can dilate before labor pains.This condition can be diagnosed by using cervical dialators.Bleeding before and periods could be due to hormonal imbalance.If the condition persists better to get evaluated.Take care.