Open cut while handling raw meat - pregnant

Patient : I had an open cut on my finger and didn't think about it while handling raw beef. I'm 17 weeks pregnant. I washed it well afterwards, but I'm very worried this could infect my baby. Can it?
Doctor :   Thank you for your question It is wise to be extra safe during pregnancy but it is highly unlikely to have any infect ion transfer to your baby. More importantly, it is important to ensure you have no development of infection of your hand, more for the purposes of your own personal health. Continue to wash your hand with soap and water and apply polysporin until the cut is healed. If you develop any signs of infection (redness, swelling, increased pain), you should see either your family doctor or go to the ER to get antibiotics. Also, it is important to be up to date with tetanus vaccinations.