Open Reduction with Internal fixation for an ankle fracture two weeks ago

Q: I had medal bars and pins put in my ankle two weeks ago they said to start pt so do I have to wear that awful boot or can I just wrap it

A:    For the first 6 weeks after an ankle fracture treated with open reduction and Internal fixation (ORIF) you should keep wearing the walking boot as directed by your physician, you may remove the walking boot for bathing and during the active range of motion exercises at the PT. After the 6 weeks you could gradually discontinue the use of the walking boot when directed by your physician. Total length of rehab will vary depending upon the following factors: severity or acuteness of injury, age, health, or personal goals of the patient.Initial rehab will depend on the severity and location of the fracture. If fixed with ORIF rehab will be more aggressive. If not fixed with ORIF the patient will be immobilized for up to 6 weeks. The physician will determine patient’s weight bearing status and progress the patient as appropriate. Some patients will be progressed through each phase at a more accelerated rate, depending on the physiology of healing, as directed by the physician.