Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Optimal blood pressure control

Optimal blood pressure control

Patient: My husband is taking 3 blood pressure meds; Atenolol 50mg, Lisonopril 10mg in the morning along with a multivitamin and folic acid. In the evening he takes Doxazosin Mesylate 4mg (1 1/2tab) along with 81mg baby aspirin. When is it best to take meds to get the lowest blood pressure reading? Thanking you in advance.

Doctor: Deally blood pressure should be kept low for 24 hours per day rather than trying to get a best result or lowest reading. I would recommend that your husband takes his medication at a set time during the day and is referred for a 24 hour ambulatory monitor to assess overall response to his prescribed medication.