Oral Gonnorhea? Gram- cocci found in throat culture

Patient

Q: Im a 22 year old male. In october I had sex with a condom on with a girl that gets around.. Since then I've been in a monogamous relationship with a girl whom I have had protected vaginal sex and unprotected oral sex. I've noticed white discharge during sex, she's also been treated for a fungal infection and a UTI since we began having sex. In January I got tested negative for gonnorhea,syphillis, and chlamidiya, with only a rash as a symptom, but the std clinic physician there said he suspected a dermatophyte infection, so I used an antifungal cream and symptoms had subsided.

Recently, I had a throat swab done for my microbiology class, and some gram negative cocci showing up on the BAP culture. On top of this my throat looks inflamed, but the pain is very mild and am not sure if its all in my head. Is it possible that I could have caught gonnorhea asymptomatically, spread it to my gf, and infected my throat?

Symptoms:  Sore throat.
Doctor

Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com

Gram Negative cocci does indicate either Neisseria infection or Gonorrhoea infection, however, if you did acquire gonorrhoea, the chances of being asymptomatic is not probable. If you did have urethritis and had burning urination, then it would have pointed more towards Gonorrhoea.

Since your intimate partner does have UTI, it is important to find out what organism she is harboring too.
Since you did not have urinary symptoms, I won't diagnose you with Gonorrhoea.
However, I would advise you to consult your local physician and get a prescription for Azithromycin. Prophylactically you can take a STAT 1000 mg dose, followed by 500 mg on the subsequent days for the next 5-7 days based on your physician's guidelines. This should treat whatever infection you have on your throat.

Hope this was helpful,
Feel free to discuss further,
Regards.

Patient: I'm just wondering, but what is the probability that my sore throat is unrelated to the gram negative cocci? I've read that some neisseria species are a part of normal human flora but also been told that it is rare to find them in a throat culture. I've also been self conscious about my throat and possibly swallowing more than usual since finding out about this this past tuesday, when i actually noticed my throat feeling tender.
Doctor: Yes, in some cases Neisseria can be normally present in the flora. I really do not think you acquired any STD. It is probably because of your anxiety that you feel the throat pain is because of STD. Mostly sore throat is due to a viral infection, and that's what I feel.

Regards.