Oral Herpes

Patient: Me and a girl have been getting closer and I have found out she has herpes. If she has no cold sores would we still be able to kiss without me getting the disease?

Doctor: I know how worry you are about Herpes transmission. Herpes is an infection that is caused by a herpes simplex virus (HSV ). Oral herpes causes cold sores around the mouth or face.The sores begin as blisters and are often grouped in clusters. After the blister stage, they break open and form ulcers in the skin or mucous membranes. Crusts or scabs form over the ulcers and eventually fall off and the tissue heals. The typical primary outbreak will last 2-3 weeks.A good point to remind is more transmissible if the person has a cold sore but it can also be contagious if there is none. Usually the outbreaks are less common as the patient gets older and if the immune system is not altered by any other condition, it is also know that stress could cause the virus to become active again and cause an outbreak. I hope I clear your doubt.