Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Orchidectomy anasthesia used

Orchidectomy anasthesia used

Patient: Hi Doctor,I am planning for an orchidectomy surgery before the gender reassignment surgery. my question is- what will be the anesthesia used in the procedure of orchidectomy , either general anesthesia or local.thanks,Regards,Lalit

Symptoms: Diagnosed with gender identity disorder

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.Yes, for this surgery (gender change ), you will need either general anaesthesia or spinal anaesthesia. LA won’t help as this is a major surgery. Without GA, there will be lots of pain and discomfort. So based on your other co-morbidities, your surgeon will suggest either GA/ SA.It is important you rest well both before and after the procedure as your body will undergo a major change following the procedure. So mental preparation is extremely important. If you have anxieties, mild sedative like Alprazolam 0.25 mg will help in alleviating your fears. Your physician can guide you best about it.Hope this was helpful.Regards.