Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Organ related obgyn or ga specialist

Organ related obgyn or ga specialist

Patient: I have benign tumors on my liver i was wondering would it be safe for me to get pregnant?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.comBenign tumours of liver can be of various types like hemangiomas, focal nodular hyperplasia or hepatic adenomas. Hemangiomas the most common ones are known to increase by the use of oral contraceptive pills , so the progestational effect of continued pregnancy can actually cause further enlargement of this variety which may either rupture in future during the course of pregnancy creating shock or may cause pressure symptoms over the hepatic canaliculi causing obstruction and promoting obstructive jaundice.Similarly FNH or focal nodular hyperplasia is the second most common benign hepatic tumour commonly seen in women. They don’t rupture usually but produce obstructive cholestasis causing jaundice which gets potentiated in pregnancy deranging the liver function tests ( the enzymes SGOT, SGPT and the serum bilirubin), causing Intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy which can lead to preterm births and low birth weight babies and subsequent neonatal jaundice.So it is a consensus that such benign tumors should either be surgically removed and adequate convalescence period followed on advise of the physician before contemplating or planning pregnancy. Pregnancy can worsen the symptoms and liver functions which can prove harmful not just for the mother but a strict vigilance and attentive hospital care has to be provided to monitor the progression of both the tumour and the fetus through out the pregnancy with an aim to avoid any criticalities. Such pregnancies are labelled as high risk pregnancies and have to followed up with frequent visits .It is advised that you may visit your physician and discuss the details of possible consequences if pregnancy is planned . It is always helpful to take an informed decision.I hope i have answered your queries and concerns.Wishing you best of health.Regards