Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Ortho Evra and starting the patch

Ortho Evra and starting the patch

Patient: I’ve recently been prescribed the contraceptive Ortho Evra and my doctor told me to start it the Sunday after my next period, but because of being underweight, I haven’t started my period yet. Is it okay to start the patch without starting my period? Is this unsafe?

Doctor: I understand your doubt about when to start the contraceptive patch. Since you have not had your period yet you might wa nt to consider the following. After pregnancy state is ruled out. You might start your patch on the day that you were supposed to have your menses or the Sunday after it. So if the last menses was a month ago, you could start your patch without any problems. I wish you the best.