Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » Orthopedic activity before surgery

Orthopedic activity before surgery

Patient: I have avascular neucrosis/ partical collapse can I take a two hour flight?

Symptoms: Hip pain

Doctor: Thank you for your question. You have not described where exactly the avascular necrosis is. However, with this disease there is an increased risk for the development of deep venous thrombosis. It is not recommend to fly for about 6 weeks after diagnosis and treatment of avascular necrosis. Furthermore, while on the flight, you have to try to stand up or move your legs and flex your calf muscles every fifteen minutes to prevent the formation of a deep venous thrombosis. Lastly, do not fly until you are cleared to fly by your doctor.Thank you for consulting

View all posts