Orthopedic Question-tendon repair and permenant damage.

Patient

Q: I recently recieved surgery due to a work related injury. I work in a meat packing plant, while working one of my co-workers sliced me with his knife across the top of my right hand lascerating two tendons. Since then they have been repaired. I am currently having severe pain in my wrist to fingertips along with swelling in the affected hand. My question is, what types of impairements can I expect in the future in regards to permenant impairement such as arthiritis, pain and such of the like.

Doctor

A:   If the tendons were the only structures damaged during the injury, you should not have any permanent impairment. The fact that you are having significant pain and swelling following surgery suggest that you may have suffered a complication such as an infection. I suggest you see your surgeon to have the operative area examined.