Osgood Schlatter – Knee Pain While Running and Jumping

Patient: Hi, i have osgood schlatter, and i am in the United States Marine Corps and i have knee pain whenever we do our physical training, what i was wondering was should i go get my knee looked at or should i just keep running. i want to know what will happen if i keep on running and ignoring it. please help

Doctor: Osgood Schlatter is a condition caused by the inflammation of the tibial tuberosity, which is a small bony bump in the u pper front part of the shin bone. It is a common condition for teens who’s bones are growing, and when they engage in activities like running and jumping, it leads to irritation and inflammation of the tuberosity (where the patellar tendon attaches). If proper rest and break from such activities is not observed, there is deposition of the bone in the tendon as the growth takes place until maturity. Usually it does not produce any symptoms, but in some cases the pain may continue with activities.In my opinion you should get your knee examined by an orthopedic specialist who will be able to advise you correctly of surgical treatment options that may be available due to the fact that bone maturity has completed for you.