Osgood Schlatters disease after effects in adults

Patient : I'm 31 years old and I had Osgood Schlatters Disease in my left knee. I went to a specialist and the bump never went away after treatment and neither did the pain as I've dealt with for years. I cannot stand for prolonged periods of time, having issues kneeling, and I can feel the pain and things moving and pulling around the area.'RICE' treatment does little as the pain comes back. It affects jobs that I apply for and when I do try to lift weights and exercise I really feel the knee strains and pains. What can I do? I now I don't have the disease anymore but I know I have the after effects. I was told I need to see a orthopedic specialist but cannot afford to do so. What can I do until I can see one? Is surgery recommended? What can I do? Please help!
Doctor :    The Osgood-Schlatter disease is the painful lump below the kneecap in children or adolescents that are going through th he growth spurs. It is seen most often in boys that participate in sports like: basketball, soccer, and in girls who practice ballet, figure skating, volleyball.  During these activities the quads tendon pulls the insertion to the shin bone, and this kind of repetitive stress cause pain and swelling in the area below the kneecap. This condition tends to resolve by its own once the bones stop growing. Usually gets better without formal treatment. At your age, with the bone growth completed this is not a Osgood Schlatter, but a patellar tendinitis.