Osteoporosis and increased fracture risk

Patient

Q: I AM A 27YR OLD MALE DIAGNOSED WITH osteoporosis ABT 4 YEARS AGO, I FELL IN WORK AND FRACTURED MY BACK, COULD THIS BE THE CAUSE?? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Doctor

A:   Osteoporosis is characterized by decreased bone mass and loss of the normal architecture of bone. The result is fragile bones and an increased risk of fractures, even after minimal trauma, particularly of the hip, spine and wrist. Osteoporosis is typically asymptomatic until a fracture occurs and is often known as the “silent thief.” Therefore it is more likely that the fracture was a result of weakened bone, secondary to underlying undiagnosed osteoporosis.