Outside Knee Pain when taking a step or lifting leg

Patient

Q: All of a sudden one morning the outside of my left knee started hurting. It hurts when I am walking, specifically when I am lifting my left foot and bringing in to the front (taking a step). It especially hurts when I am walking down stairs. It feels like a muscle or a tendon that is connecting or holding my upper leg with the bottom is strained. Therefore when my leg is suspended in the air without any support the outside of my knee hurts and forces me to stiffen my entire leg, lock my knee in order to feel no pain.

Doctor

A:   I would definitely go and see your doctor so he can refer you to a orthopedic specialist who can evaluate you. In the meantime try icing your knee to help with any swelling and try taking a anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen.