x
174 Physicians Online

Question:

Outside Knee Pain when taking a step or lifting leg

All of a sudden one morning the outside of my left knee started hurting. It hurts when I am walking, specifically when I am lifting my left foot and bringing in to the front (taking a step). It especially hurts when I am walking down stairs. It feels like a muscle or a tendon that is connecting or holding my upper leg with the bottom is strained. Therefore when my leg is suspended in the air without any support the outside of my knee hurts and forces me to stiffen my entire leg, lock my knee in order to feel no pain.

Answer:

I would definitely go and see your doctor so he can refer you to a orthopedic specialist who can evaluate you. In the meantime try icing your knee to help with any swelling and try taking a anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA