Outter hip pain: Hip Bursitis

Patient: Hello, I have hip pain when I stretch ( i.e. side splits) and when I try to do some high kicks. I am 32 years old now, when I was in 5th grade to my first year in college I was involved in martial art, football and track. I had this pain before when I was a kid going to martials but it gone away and it wasn’t bad. Now, I am planning to go back in to martial arts to stay in shape, so I have been doing some stretches for about 7 months with good progress, just some of the stretches and kicks hurts my outer right hip. What can I do to cure the problem

Doctor: Overuse injuries or repetitive motion injuries make up over 50% of all athletic-related injuries seen by doctors. Simpl le everyday actions, such as throwing a ball, scrubbing a floor, running or jogging, can lead to this condition. The most common types of repetitive motion injuries are tendonitis and bursitis. These 2 disorders are difficult to differentiate and many times may coexist. In your case, most likely could be a bursitis of the hip due to a repetitive trauma, which can have various causes, for example: inadequate footwear, inadequate technique for running and/or for training, inadequate training surfaces. Bursae are small pouches or sacs that are found over areas where friction may develop and serve to cushion or lubricate the area between tendon and bone; common areas where bursitis can occur include the elbow, knee and hip.  Traumatic bursitis is the type involved with repetitive motion injuries. Traumatic bursitis is most common in people younger than 35 years. Ice in the affected area can be used for relief of pain and swelling. The conservative treatment as follows: immobilization and ice during the early phase and moist heat during the long-term phase. Use of anti inflammatory medication NSAIDs (“aleve”, “motrin”) can help to ease pain and swelling. If your tendinitis or bursitis is not helped by NSAIDs, your doctor may choose to inject steroids into the surrounding area of inflammation. You should begin graduated range-of-motion exercise once your symptoms begin to improve. As a rule, you should not have more than 3 injections into the same area within a 12-month period. Alternative treatments include pain-killing creams, capsaicin cream (an over-the-counter pain relief cream made from an ingredient of cayenne pepper), and steroid medications if you are able to take them.Regarding prevention measures for bursitis: Do adequate warm-up and cool-down maneuvers (crucial to proper tendon and bursae health). Avoid activity that makes your injury flare up. This will speed healing of both tendinitis and bursitis. A great majority of bursitis cases heal well. Just have to be patient and consistent with the treatment.