x
66 Physicians Online

Question:

Ovarian cyst

I'm 18, i was in the hospital last night and was diagnosed with a large ovarian cyst. i also go my period last night while i was there, and today i am in a lot of pain, what should i do?

Answer:

Ovarian cysts are fluid-filled sacs or pockets within or on the surface of an ovary. Your ovaries normally grow cyst-like structures called follicles each month. Follicles produce the hormones estrogen and progesterone and release an egg when you ovulate.
Sometimes a normal monthly follicle just keeps growing. When that happens, it becomes known as a functional cyst. One of the most common symptoms is pelvic pain, menstrual irregularities, and nausea and breast tenderness similar to pregnancy.
Many cysts commonly regress on their own, it would be recommended for you to consult a gynecologist to evaluate you and decide to wait or treat you with birth control pills for the pain and menstrual irregularities. You could take over the counter ibuprofen in the meantime. I wish you a prompt recovery.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.