Ovarian cyst and Infertility

Patient

Q: Hello I had dull pain for about 3 days then an enormous amount suddently.I was diagnosed with having a 2.9 cm cyst about a week before getting my period. Then heavy usual cramps for me right before and during my period. (is this normal) Then no pain for a couple weeks so I thought it could have dissapeared. Now I am back mid cycle and believe I am ovulating. The pain is back (is this unusual)? Also, we are trying to conceive. Would I be able to conceive with a cyst on my ovary? Thank you

Doctor

A:   I realize your concern about your ovarian cyst diagnosis. These are fluid filled sacs inside or on an ovary. There are many types of ovarian cyst, most of them are benign, usually they don’t present any symptom and are found during routine physical exam or ultrasound and sometimes reabsorb by themselves.
However they might also present with lower abdominal or pelvic pain like the one you have, which may start and stop and may be severe, Irregular menstrual periods, feeling of lower abdominal or pelvic pressure or fullness, Long-term pelvic pain during menstrual period that may also be felt in the lower back, Pelvic pain after strenuous exercise or sexual intercourse, Pain or pressure with urination or bowel movements.
Some types of cysts may be related to infertility. I suggest you to talk to your doctor to rule out the type of cyst that you have and to make sure if it is related to infertility.