Ovarian cyst and the OVA-1 test

Patient

Q: My doctor has recommended OVA-1 test. According to the manufacturer website, the test is intended to help a gynecologist determine if a patient—for whom surgery is already planned—should be referred to a gynecologic oncologist, as opposed to being operated on by the general gynecologist.

The question is, why not skip this expensive test and have the surgery done by a gynecologic oncologist? If there is a potential benefit and no downside, why not just have the gynecologic oncologist do the surgery?

Doctor