Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Ovarian cyst – Has it ruptured?

Ovarian cyst – Has it ruptured?

Patient: I have an ovarian cyst thats 2×2.5cm in size that i have been told is bleeding into itself. for the last few weeks i have been getting alot of pain and discomfort and have been having unusual bleeding but am not due my perid til 16th dec. i have a gush sensation to which i find alot of blood but its a strange browny colour. am not due another scan til mid jan 2012 but the pain is now getting really bad.. i also feel sick on times.

Doctor: Women with ovarian cysts may experience symptoms like bleeding, irregular menstrual cycles, abdominal and back pain. Ble eding that is unrelated to regular periods is a significant concern in women with ovarian cysts. It is important to rule out a ruptured ovarian cyst.In my opinion you need urgent attention, you will have to see your doctor immediately or go to the ER for an ultrasound to rule out a ruptured ovarian cyst.