Ovarian cysts not better with Medication

Patient

Q: I have an ovarian cyst 2 x 2..5cm in size thats bleeding into itself, i am now getting alot of pain and also severe shooting pains, have been given painkillers that are not helping with the pain, went back today ias pain is worsening to be told up painrlief. i really dont know what to do as im finding it hard to cope with the pain and discomfort what would u suggest i have even considered going to a and e

Doctor

A:   An ovarian cyst is a fluid filled sac in the ovary. Ovarian cysts are relatively common, affecting 7-10% of women. These cysts can cause pelvic discomfort and pain, dysmenorrhea, menorrhagia and abdominal distension.
Since you've had a kidney tumor removed, it is important to investigate for an underlying malignant cause of the ovarian cyst.
Many patients with simple ovarian cyst smaller than 5cm and normal CA125 levels require only observation and serial ultrasonographic examination. Cysts larger than 5 cm presenting with symptoms should be considered for surgery. You may also need to consult a oncologist if the CA125 level is above 35 U/ml and if there is a history of ovarian cancer in the family.