Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Ovarian Cysts that ruptured in past comes Back

Ovarian Cysts that ruptured in past comes Back

Patient: Hello,I have had an ovarian cyst not too long ago more like 3 months ago and it had ruptured, my doctors said only thing for me to do is just take ibuprofin for it. no check up or anything. well now I feel the same pain in the same spot again. do they keep coming back like this and will they ever go away?

Doctor: Ovarian cysts are small fluid filled sacs that are present in the ovaries. In most of the cases, these cysts are harmles s. They affect women who are in the child bearing range. The cysts may be formed due to irregular menstrual cycles, if there was previous history of ovarian cysts, obesity, infertility. The treatment of the cysts depends on their size and whether it has ruptured or not. For most of the cases NSAIDS like advil may help in relieving the symptoms.If you are presently not trying to conceive, you may ask your doctor to put you on an oral contraceptive pill because it decreases the chances of developing an ovarian cyst.