Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Over 2 weeks ago I tripped and wrenched my knee

Over 2 weeks ago I tripped and wrenched my knee

Patient: Over 2 weeks ago I tripped and wrenched my knee. I have a possible meniscus tear and a sprained MCL. I am waiting for a MRI hopefully next week. I have been having persistent sciatic pain for the past 2 weeks. Is this related? Should I be on the crutches ?

Symptoms: Pain behind knee, sciatic pain, pain when bending/straightening knee

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.We are here to help you.You seem to have developed from Knee ligament injury following t he trauma that you had following 2 weeks back. However, this can be unrelated also. We need to evaluate you for anterior or posterior cruciate ligament injury.In such scenario, I would advise you to get MRI of Knee joint done. Also, you should get your Serum Calcium and Vitamin D levels.For knee pain i would advise you to do knee and quadriceps strengthening exercises which will strengthen your quadriceps muscles and will give support to your knee joint. Along with this you should do hot fomentation of the knee.Apply diclofenac ointment locally if you have severe pain.If any ligament injury is found on clinical examination and MRI, you would require to get arthroscopic repair of the ligament done.Till you get medical help, you should use crutches to walk.Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy